Saturday, August 4, 2012

Meet Ginger

I know it may seem silly to some for me to post 2 separate entries in one night, but I'm eager to put up my older work so I can get to the more recent drawings.  But c'mon, who's really going to complain about it to me anyway?

Jerks.  That's who.  But screw 'em, I say!

Anyway, after being in my league for only about 2 months, I found myself in a position where I had to go from Freshmeat to Veteran status practically overnight due to some major changes to the league (restructuring, relocation etc).  This was both as a skater and as a marketing committee member.  In fact, I became the designer for the league.  As in the only designer.

Suddenly I had the responsibility of designing a flyer for our upcoming fundraiser.  However, we were such a young league (still are really) that we didn't have any adequate photos to use at the time.  I feel very strongly against using clip-art and stock photos whenever possible.  And don't even get me started on pulling "found" photos from google image search (artistic integrity or artistic snobbery?  You decide)!  So in my eyes, the only option left was to draw something--or someone.


Now known as "Ginger," our first poster girl (dressed in DDD gear) wasn't based on any of our actual members.  If she was based on anyone at all, it was probably Cheryl Blossom of Archie Comics-fame :P

If any of you guys think her left (on our right) leg looks funny...well you're right.  I had spent so much time on this drawing that I was getting supremely sick of it.  In order to save some time (and sanity) I wound up copy/pasting her other foot.  A properly drawn foot should have been angled so that it is facing the viewer a little bit more.  Just looking at her foot now makes me wince in anticipation of a broken ankle.  Fortunately my teammates were able to look past her wonky foot (or maybe they just didn't notice, haha). 



Soon afterwards we were going to host another fundraiser that featured a winter holiday food drive.  Still without many photos, I decided to enlist Ginger's help once again.



I didn't have the time to come up with a brand new drawing, so instead I removed the bowling ball, added the ginormous Santa-bag, and then redrew her hands so she would be holding it.  I also added a scarf, making use of a photoshop brush created by artist, Ruyi Yuen aka Rooster.  The brush was actually created to simulate the look of chain mail, but I used it here to add the knit texture to Ginger's scarf.  

Next up is our first bout flyer poster girl!  But I think 2 blog entries is enough for one night, don't you?  'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment