Saturday, August 4, 2012

Official Launch is Go!

Welcome to the first official (and very late) post of my derby art blog!  I've been meaning to do this for several months now, but only got around to throwing it together tonight...Eh well.  Better late than never, no?

I suppose I should start by introducing myself (though most of the people who see this blog are going to be people I know in real life anyway).  Here goes!

My skater name is Knuckle Sammich, though my teammates call me "Knuckles" for short (feel free to do the same).  I started roller derby in July of 2011 when I joined The DuPage Derby Dames.  By now I've only been derbying it up for a year, but I completely fell in love with it right away.  It's an amazing, fast-paced, action-packed sport that embraces people of all backgrounds, skill sets and body types.  I may be constantly covered in scrapes and bruises, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I only wish I would have thought to give it a whirl earlier in my life!

In addition to being a derby girl, I am also an artist (and nerd-o supreme)!  In fact, I'm the main designer for my roller derby league.  Thus it's only natural that I've started racking up a bit of derby-related art.  I already have another (admittedly neglected) art blog, but I thought I'd put together another one to specifically feature derby art.  And so here we are :)

So to kick this blog off right we have my very first derby-related drawing!     




In August of 2011, my league had a photographer come in to take everyone's headshots.  Unfortunately for me I missed it, so I drew this as my replacement :P  I tried to mimic the same style of the photos themselves, from the stark, black background, to the glow of the back-light. I rushed this one a little bit (which isn't saying much still because I'm slow) so it doesn't look much like me in my opinion.  And it's not as polished as I could have made it.  Even so, it was a fun little way to christen the crazy derby adventure I was embarking upon.

Now, almost exactly one year later, we're having a photographer come in to take new headshots. And this time, I won't miss it!  I'm getting my headshot, dag nabit!

No comments:

Post a Comment