Thursday, April 25, 2013

Wes L. Mania, Dee Troit Diesel & Annevel Knievel

Our last home bout of the 2012 season was in November, the month synonymous with pilgrims, turkeys and overeating.  Unsurprisingly, it's common to see November bouts take on similar themes.  However, our league decided to take things in a different direction.  Instead, we chose to use our Season Closer to honor our veterans.

I have to say that our season closer went even better than any of us could have hoped--We really went out with a bang!  And I don't even mean because both of our A and B teams emerged victorious (though double victories are always fantastic).  A local VFW came out to perform the national anthem, veterans were treated to discounted tickets, and The Chicago Riots Junior Roller Derby team play mini bouts during our half-times to a completely packed house.  But enough about the bout, let's get to the art.  That is why you're here after all.  Well that, and because I'm just that cool.

Nah, it's for the art.  Let's be honest here.  

Because this was our season closer, I really wanted to do something extra special for this poster.  So, instead of drawing just one poster girl, I drew 3!  Er, sorta.  More like 2 skaters and 1 referee (who just happens to be a dude):  Dee Troit Diesel, Annevel Knievel and Wes L. Mania!

The original sketch of Dee, complete with a myriad of notes
Dee in color!
Annevel's original sketch.  Pay no attention to the tiny ninja thumbnail in the corner.
I said stop looking at it!
In color and rocking her trademark flag legs!
By now she has a new Evel Knievel style helmet that's just as patriotic.
God Bless 'Merica!

Wes' sketch
Wes in color!
So why the decision to feature a ref instead of 3 skaters?  Well, refs and NSOs are just as vital to a roller derby league as its skaters--bouts and scrimmages just don't work without them!  However, they tend to get a lot more crap (and from both teams) if skaters don't agree with calls they've made, or failed to make as the case sometimes is.  Roller derby is an incredibly complicated and intense sport, so this happens a LOT.  That alone is enough to deserve a feature, don't you think?  And if you disagree, well, our refs are effin' awesome, too.  So there. 

With having pushed myself to draw not 1, but 3 different people on this poster, I was once again left without enough time to shade them.  I hate leaving drawings in flat colors unless that was what I had intended from the beginning... :/  Even so, the rest of the poster still turned out okay.

Thanks to this poster, Wes, Dee and Annevel get requests to recreate these saluting poses for photos.  Even now, several months later.  In fact... 

Wes, Dee & Annevel throwing their salutes at a bowling outing a couple of months ago.
And yes, they're wearing matching Hawaiian shirts...
This wasn't even an official roller derby related event.  We were all just hanging out, haha.

Hope you liked!  Now, time for my shameless plug!

This Saturday I'll be skating in the American Cancer Society's Walk & Roll in Chicago!  I skated in this last year as well, and not only is it a lot of fun, but it's for a good cause!  I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want to kick cancer squarely in its junk?!

My goal this year is to raise $100, but as of this moment I'm still not even halfway there.  And I only have 2 days left!  So if you happen to be able to spare even just $5 for a donation, I'd really, truly appreciate it!  And not just me!  Everyone who has ever fought with or been touched by cancer. 

If you'd like to make a donation to the American Cancer Society, just click here

To anyone who has already donated, and to those who will, THANK YOU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment