Friday, April 12, 2013

Tiki-Flavored Sammich

So something weird happened in August of 2012.  My league decided to vote me in as poster girl...

Seriously.  Weird.

But even weirder than being voted in was having to draw myself.  Don't get me wrong, since a lot of the art I worked on back in college was semi-autobiographical, I'm quite used to drawing myself. However, it was never really with the intention of promoting anything besides my own work. Plus, while I'm no wallflower, I'm not really much of an attention-seeker either.  

The familiarity with my own form at least meant that I could finish the drawing relatively fast.  Well you know, fast for me anyway.  But I definitely spent more time trying to figure out how to compose the rest of the poster.

This particular bout was Tiki themed--fitting as the last bout of the summer.  Anyway, as much time as I spent researching Polynesian and Islander design elements, I didn't really have the time or energy to draw much more than the skater illustration.  So I was super lucky to come across this fabulous font by designer David Occhino.  It's called "Tangaroa" and is based off of real elements of Maori and South Pacific designs.      

He was generous enough to provide a free, supplemental variant of the font (Tangaroa Glyphs) right on his website, and it was just perfect.  I used several of the glyphs as border elements and to scatter as background textures.  It was a quick solution to a lack of time and graphics.  Here's the final poster:

We've long since retired this jersey style.
And I've stopped skating in shorts in favor of capris.
Relevance?  None.  You're welcome.


While this wasn't our league's first doubleheader, it was the the first time that our A and B-teams skated under their official team names!  Our B-Team is known as Onslaught and our A-Team is Uproar.  Cleverly plays off the lioness imagery, no?

Oh, and remember how I said that I study several photos of a skater in order to properly depict their mannerisms and stride?  Well, I just wanted to share an image that a photographer happened to capture at that bout.


Image by DBH Photo

I'm skating with almost the exact same pose as the one I drew for the poster :)  Just thought that was amusing enough to share.  Feel free to disagree.  But doing so might make you a jerk face. 

That's right.  I said it.

Fonts used: Tangaroa Glyphs, Highjinks, Feast of Flesh, Market Deco

Questions?  Comments?  Gifts of puppies?  Feel free to leave them here :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment